Lottery games can have high jackpots that can go into the millions. The high jackpot is what attracts people to want to buy lottery tickets. It can be tempting to buy lottery tickets even if you don’t have the budget to get one. Many people then wonder, is playing the lottery a sin?
If you’re a Christian or are born again this question may have crossed your mind many times while playing the lottery. In this post, we’ve explained what the lottery is and if it’s safe for Christians to play the game according to their faith. It may be the way you play the game that determines whether or not it’s good for you to play the lottery or not.
- Is The Lottery Gambling?
- Why Would People Believe that Playing the Lottery is a Sin?
- Religions That Believe the Lottery is Gambling and a Sin
- Should Christians Play the Lottery?
- What the Bible Says About Gambling or the Lottery
- Should You Pray to Win the Lottery?
- Winning the Lottery Can Be Both a Blessing and Curse
- Winning the Lottery from a Biblical Point of View
- Final Thoughts
Is The Lottery Gambling?
If you look up the definition of gambling, it states that it’s a game of chance or wagering something of value on a game without knowing what the outcome will be. The intent is to win something of value in return such as money, houses, or even jewelry.
The lottery is considered gambling because it’s a game of chance and you’re paying money for a ticket without knowing what the outcome will be. What’s more, the purpose of playing the lottery for some people is to gain instant financial freedom.
For other people, playing the lottery is simply a hobby or a fun way to try new lottery tricks and strategies.
Why Would People Believe that Playing the Lottery is a Sin?
In many religions, gambling is considered a sin because it tempts people. The high jackpots entice people into buying tickets whether they have the money or not. If you’re not careful with your money you can fall into a financial trap and you won’t be able to buy necessities such as food or pay the rent.
Although lottery tickets aren’t expensive, people who are poor could use their money to buy what they need to survive instead of paying for lottery tickets. Most people who live in low-income areas buy lottery tickets with the hope of becoming rich or financially free. This can be damaging to the low-income player.
Additionally, the lottery like many other games of chance can be addictive and in Christianity, the Bible warns people of get-rich-quick schemes. That’s why most lottery organizers encourage people to play responsibly because it can be ruinous for people who have addictive personalities.
Religions That Believe the Lottery is Gambling and a Sin
There are many people who are extremely devout and any form of gambling to them is considered a sin. Here is a list of religions that believe the lottery can be a sin and should be avoided:
- Islamic faith
On the other hand, some religions such as Judaism may be lenient about gambling but only if it helps the community. For example, if there is a lottery, any money made will go towards a good cause such as an orphanage. But for other religions, the lottery is strictly prohibited and could be the reason why some countries have banned people from selling or buying lottery tickets.
Should Christians Play the Lottery?
Christians aren’t prohibited from playing the lottery. Those who are Christians living in countries where the lottery is legal are free to play the game. But from a moral and faith point of view, you may want to take caution when playing the lottery. The Bible mentions that money is the root of all evil.
That’s why it’s important to play the lottery responsibly. You should also consider what to do if you win a massive jackpot. Would you still live your life according to your faith or would you live a life of sin? For example, would you help others by donating to charities, and helping the less fortunate or would you spend your money on drugs and alcohol?
These are major questions to consider because it can be tempting to lead a completely different lifestyle when you have a massive fortune. For someone who is a Christian, you should be steadfast in your convictions no matter how much money you have.
What the Bible Says About Gambling or the Lottery
There are scriptures in the bible that talk about money. By reading these scriptures you’ll be able to use discernment about whether or not you should play the lottery as a Christian. Here are a few bible verses you should look into if you’re going to play the lottery:
- The Bible talks about trying to get rich quickly. This is not always a good idea because it can cause many problems in your life. “A faithful man shall abound with blessings. But he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent” – Proverbs 28:20.
- Many people want to get rich to escape working for a living. But the Bible states that we should work for our money. “Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: But he that gathereth by labor shall increase” – Proverbs 13:11
- There are players who want to win money so they can pay for the items they want. The Bible states that through faith and trusting the Lord, He will provide everything that you need. “Trust in the Lord, and do good; So shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.” – Psalm 37:3.
- The Bible says that if you gain money quickly it can also disappear fast. This is especially true if you don’t know how to manage finances. But if you work hard for your money, you will value it more and use it to increase your funds. “Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labor shall increase.” – Proverbs 13:11
As you can see, the bible doesn’t clearly say that gambling or the lottery is a sin, but there are scriptures that warn against the temptations of money and how it can affect your life.
Should You Pray to Win the Lottery?
There are many who believe in prosperity preaching. This suggests that financial well-being is the will of God. Although God wants the best for your life He’s also not a genie and doesn’t simply grant all your wishes whenever you want. You can pray for prosperity but God won’t grant you what you want if it’s not his will. If he does provide you with prosperity it will be in his way that doesn’t affect your well-being.
God knows what’s in your heart and he also knows how money can affect people’s lives. If your prayers aren’t being answered to win the lottery it may be because money can tempt you to sin. With that being said, God may find other ways for you to become prosperous such as:
- Blessing you with a raise in your salary
- Having family members give you money for your birthday or Christmas
- Giving you ideas to start your own business
- Encouraging you to save or invest your money
- Blessing you with a higher-paying job
If you do happen to win a big lottery jackpot you may want to take steps to continue living by your Christian values. You can also find ways to help those around you or even help build a church in your community.
Winning the Lottery Can Be Both a Blessing and Curse
Winning the lottery is something many people dream of because it means complete financial freedom. But winning millions can be both a blessing and a curse in many ways. In this section we’ve listed the benefits and disadvantages of winning the lottery:
- You can help your family financially
- You’re able to put your children through college or the best schools
- The ability to help your community
- You can invest in property or businesses to make your money grow
- Lottery winnings can help you buy houses and cars
- You may be able to travel the world
- The opportunity to pay for your studies
- A possibility of contributing to infrastructures such as building schools or parks
- Scammers can try to steal money from you
- Money can cause fights among family members
- If you’re not careful you can go bankrupt fast
- Some lottery winners become drug addicts or alcoholics
If you win the lottery jackpot you choose how you’re going to spend the money and the person you’re going to become. You can either become a destructive person like Michael Carrol or Jack Whittaker or continue living a Christian life.
Winning the Lottery from a Biblical Point of View
Having large sums of money comes with many responsibilities and considerations whether you’re a Christian or not. In this section, we explain how you can live your life after claiming your lottery jackpot.
The first piece of advice that we can give you is to be responsible with your money by saving and making smart investments. Even though you’ve gained financial freedom, it’s important for you to manage your finances correctly or you’ll land up going bankrupt.
Don’t spend your money frivolously on expensive goods. In the long run, expensive cars and houses will cost you more because you’ll have to spend money to maintain them. With that being said, we suggest the following if you become a lottery winner:
- Hire a financial advisor to assist you.
- Try to remain anonymous when claiming your prize. If your country doesn’t allow this consider claiming your lottery through a trust fund.
- Keep your money in the bank and don’t carry large amounts with you.
- Don’t brag about how much money you have. This can attract the wrong people into your life.
- If you donate to charity, consider buying items that the organization needs instead of giving them money. For example, schools may need computers or stationery for children.
- Don’t spend your money gambling at casinos or on illegal substances that can create addictions.
- Create a will and make sure your money goes to your family or chosen charities if you should die.
You can also consider taking the annuity instead of the lump sum option so you don’t get the full amount of money all at once. This can help you manage your money better.
Be Helpful Toward Your Fellow Man
One of the qualities of a good Christian is helping the people around you. This doesn’t mean giving half your fortune away to people because it can also be damaging to them. Instead, see how you can help your community grow by building youth centers for children or even clinics in low-income areas.
There are many people who are less fortunate that could use your help to make it in this world. Here are some ideas on how you can help people if you win the lottery:
- Buy food hampers and donate them to poor areas.
- Volunteer at soup kitchens and buy food for these organizations
- Help out and donate items at homeless shelters
- Start a business that creates employment opportunities
- Buy a piece of land and keep it reserved for wildlife and plants
- Consider volunteering and donating to old age homes
The Bible says that giving to your fellow man is the same as giving to the lord. The scripture says “He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD, and that which he hath given will he pay him again.” – Proverbs 19:17
Whether you’re a Christian or not you will always be accountable for your actions. If you choose to spend your lottery winnings on the wrong things you will ultimately lead an unhealthy life. Even spending money on expensive items will have consequences in the long run.
Temptation can catch you off guard at any moment so you must always do what’s right. Winning the lottery can test you in many ways and it can be easy to fall into sin. Some lottery winners even went as far as going to strip clubs or spending money on prostitutes.
Lots of money can also turn you into a greedy person which is something that should be avoided. When you’re accountable, you accept responsibility for your actions. You are blessed with the choice of free will but not the consequences of your choices.
Ask for Guidance
If you’re unsure about what to do or if it’s safe for you to play the lottery as a Christian you can always ask for guidance. You can do this by praying to God or asking the opinions of your fellow Christians.
You may also be able to feel if something is wrong. As a Christian, you are also guided by the Holy Spirit which helps you make decisions in your life. Additionally, the Holy Spirit helps protect you from spiritual and physical danger.
Although the act of playing the lottery isn’t considered a sin, the actions you take to play the game can be. So ask for guidance and ensure you’re playing the lottery because it’s fun and not because you want to become rich overnight.
The lottery is a game that’s fun and exciting but it can become a problem if you’re playing for the wrong reasons. We suggest making it an innocent hobby that you and your friends can play together or create a syndicate. Or you can use various strategies such as Lottery Wheeling Systems to make the game more fun and interesting.
Use this article as a guide to help you make a decision about playing your favorite lotteries. If you do decide you want to play the lottery we suggest going through online lottery sites such as LottoAgent or WinTrillions. That way you can play lotteries from all around the world.